Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Twenty Five


The minute hand of the clock pointed at exactly twelve o'clock midnight, welcoming the eight of November 2010 to mark the twenty-fifth anniversary of my first breathing in this world after nine months of maturation and confinement inside my mother's womb. The overflowing of birthday greetings on my cellphone, on my facebook and friendster coming from friends, officemates and cyberfriends was commonplace. While the banter and teases from my boardmates for a cake and ice cream treat were inevitable.

It was twenty five years back when I was cast into this world after my beloved mother patiently and laboriously awaited for the patter of the tiny feet of her first born child. It was twenty five years ago when I burst my first cry after being detached from the wonted abode, to the extreme delight and excitement of my mom and dad after finally seeing me alive and healthy in my birthday suit. My mother would usually reminisce about how sacrificial those nights were during those days of my infancy as I would not drift off to sleep unless they scoop me into their arms with a lullaby.

Time flies so swiftly that the one who was once a toddler with runny nose and dirty hands and feet has unwillingly aged twenty five now. Once I was asked how old I am that it took me time to muster up the energy to respond and reluctantly say I am twenty four now. I wish I were only in my teenage years if only I could turn the clock back because the older I become in age, the stronger the pressure of existence becomes and the bigger my responsibility is as an individual. Not only that, because the the fact that I'm getting older in age, I could not help but ponder on the dreadful idea that my twilight years are nearing.

Every passing year in our earthly subsistence unfolds another chapter of the drama of life with a cornucopia of challenges, pitfalls, struggles, joy and resentment, heartaches, victory and fiasco and disillusionment; irrefutable realities which make the story more thrilling and compelling. Every birthday that comes signifies another milestone as we continue composing the story of our journey on earth. We are the lead actors of our own footlights and only He who knows when we shall stop acting as He finally closes the stage curtain to signal the cessation of our life.

For practical reason, I celebrated my natal day without throwing off a lavish party though the pressure around on that day was intense. I proffered my co-roomers with three liters of coke (since they were having their lunch) which I bought from a nearby sari-sari store upon my arrival from office. I went to church then to hear the Sunday mass and to share with Him the overwhelming jubilation I felt in my heart on that day and to express my gratitude to Him for the continuous gift of life and for making the candlelight of my life unremittingly aglow with His presence.

I am twenty five years young now (not twenty five years OLD because kalabaw lang ang tumatanda as the Tagalog adage states it) which means that I have embraced the kingdom of adulthood and maturity. Gone were those days of infantile and gibberish talks. I shall learn to stand on my own as I am honed by experiences; as I am made pliable by letdowns; and as I am made steadfast and unrelenting by my ambitions.

Life must go on so long as the waves never cease to kiss the sand in the seashore.

No comments:

Post a Comment